Tara Flannery is a Certified Professional Photographer (CPP) and Craftsman based in Houston, TX. Tara Flannery Photography specializes in corporate headshots and can help with what to wear for headshots! See more headshots in the gallery. Contact me to book your professional headshot today!
What to wear for headshots
Aside from scheduling a date with your headshot photographer, this may be the next hardest thing to do in preparation for your headshot session. Choosing what to wear for headshots! Wardrobe is so important, though, because it lends itself to certain backgrounds and the feel of the headshot. Take some time to consider what you’ll wear for the headshot.
Here are a few tips to help!
- Consider your position, industry, and where you’re going! They say that you should dress for your next promotion. Dress like you want the person’s job who’s above you. Your headshot wardrobe should reflect the type of work that you do.
- Decide on formal versus a casual look. It’s probably a good idea to have both so that you can tailor your headshot to suit the marketing material.
- Choose solid colors. Too much pattern can be distracting in a headshot. Layers and texture are good but not pattern.
- Choose wardrobe pieces for their neckline (either a strong neckline or a soft neckline paired with a jacket).
- Jewelry is great in a headshot. Just make sure it’s not too large or distracting. The main focus should be on your face.
- Make sure nails are manicured in case they show in the image.
If you’re unsure about a piece of clothing or what to wear, bring options to your session and chat with your photographer. She will be able to guide you when you both can discuss the clothing and session.
Here are a few recent headshot sessions. And a few general rules that I use to coordinate wardrobe with background choices. If you choose dark colors like black or navy, I like to use a neutral grey or darker grey background. This makes the clothing and background blend well so that the focus lies on the face. If you bring a top with bold color like red, royal blue, pink, or green, I like to photograph on a clean white background. The pop of color on the white background looks really great! If you have an off-white top, I also like the medium grey to set off that color.
Tara Flannery is a Certified Professional Photographer (CPP) and Craftsman based in Houston, TX. Tara Flannery Photography specializes in corporate headshots. See more headshots in the gallery. Contact me to book your professional headshot today!