Tara Flannery is a Certified Professional Photographer (CPP) and Craftsman based in Houston, TX. Tara Flannery Photography can help with how to plan a family portrait session. See more family photos in the gallery. Contact me to book your family portrait today!
How to Plan a Family Portrait Session
Planning a family portrait session doesn’t have to be stressful! Talk to your photographer about ways to manage all of the pieces. Here are some tips on how to plan a family portrait session:
- Choose a photographer. This is one of the most important decisions you’ll make, as the photographer will be responsible for capturing your family’s memories. Ask around for recommendations, review their websites, and be sure to interview a few photographers before making a decision.
- Schedule your session. Once you’ve found a photographer, book your session in advance. This will give you time to plan your outfits and location.
- Choose your outfits. When choosing your outfits, it’s important to coordinate, but not match. You want your family to look like a unit, but you also want everyone to have their own unique style. Choose colors that complement each other, and avoid wearing anything too busy or revealing.
- Find a location. The location of your photo shoot will be important in setting the tone for your photos. If you want a formal look, choose a studio or park. If you want a more casual look, choose a beach, forest, or other outdoor setting.
- Be prepared for anything. Things don’t always go according to plan, so it’s important to be prepared for anything. Bring a change of clothes in case of bad weather, and snacks and drinks in case you get hungry or thirsty.
- Relax and have fun! The most important thing is to relax and have fun. The photographer will be there to guide you, so just enjoy the experience and let your family’s natural love for each other shine through.
I will never meet a family for the first time on the day of the session. We always have a consultation ahead of time either in-person (best) or online. We’ll talk about why we’re doing family portraits now, what you’ll wear, and where the session will take place. What are the goals for the end products? I like to get to know you a little bit (and you get to know me) before the session so that when the session day comes, we are ready to go!
Tara Flannery is a Certified Professional Photographer (CPP) and Craftsman based in Houston, TX. Tara Flannery Photography specializes in family portraits. See more family photos in the gallery. Contact me to book your family portrait today!